What is your calling?


“With me, illusions are bound to be shattered. I am here to shatter all illusions. Yes, it will irritate you, it will annoy you - that's my way of functioning and working. I will sabotage you from your very roots! Unless you are totally destroyed as a mind, there is no hope for you.”
― Osho

What is it that you're called to do?

Is it what you're doing with your life?

If not, why not?

One thing to note: you're unlikely -- no, make that very unlikely -- to find it chained behind a desk.

If you must look anywhere, my strongest advice is to look within.

And no, this isn't about scratching all those daft itches -- the feeling of having to do something will soon pass -- but instead to realise True Self.

If that doesn't mean anything to you, what I'm referring to is you looking beyond your putative passion or even what you enjoy doing, but instead to understand that you don't will your will and only when you surrender fully to this moment (over and over) will you start to see that in seeking something, you're just as likely to move further away from True Self as you are closer to it.

Let me try and put this less prosaically. Work is not your calling. Being fully alive, fully human, and radically accepting everything, is.

Think about the people you know who you would describe as innately happy. In my experience -- particularly when I think about my late grandparents, Peter and Lorna -- they weren't obsessed with getting or doing anything. If they had an obsession it was in deepening their love for each other and being closer to God -- they were Methodists. In that space, I would say they were their calling.

Again, what about you?

What is your calling?

Are you already it without perhaps seeing it that way?

Blessings,

Julian


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All in

Beginner's mind

When life passes you by