Only better questions

For the past few weeks, I've been busy with work -- real busy. In fact, I can't remember a time (certainly since lockdown) when it was like this.

And that's fine. No, really. It's kept me occupied and certainly, I've not had much time to surf the web or engage in social media. (Sorry, that sounds a bit off-hand. What I mean is that I've been nicely distracted.)

I have, though, missed blogging. It's quite something -- at least to me -- to go from a daily routine to, well, nothing. 

Nada.

In many ways, apart from the busyness, it's also been good to regroup, to collect my thoughts and to sit with all that's been arising -- especially the grief of losing my father-in-law who was (and still remains in spirit) a big part of our lives.

I don't have a mission, or strategy or plan as to how my blogging will unfold -- I've stopped posting on Livejournal and am back to Blogger (please feel free to subscribe 😀) -- but I'm hopeful that I will get back to something fairly regular, something a little different (I still crave to write the odd story or poem or something off the spiritual track) and something to keep me engaged with all that life offers.

For now, I'll leave you with today's musing, namely the idea that we need a better question or set thereof rather and instead of looking for another slick, easily assimilated answer to today's culturally-endorsed problems. This isn't new. Indeed, I've mentioned it more than once but, for me at least, as someone in the legal 'answer' game, I can tell you, from a lifetime of offering first one and then another answer, not much, if anything, has changed. What? You heard me. Despite all the flag-waving, cheerleading and exhortation, nothing much has changed.

You might ask, well then, what might be a better question than...how to solve this problem, how to be a better version of you, how to be kinder, less solipsistic etc? 

Here's mine for today:

Why is there so little wisdom in a world awash with old people?

And in case, you're wondering the genesis for this pithy number, I can tell you that it's straight out of Stephen Jenkinson's extraordinary book, Come of Age, A Case for Elderhood in a Time of Trouble. This isn't a plug or recommendation but if you want to know what it means to wonder about this question, then you might like to read a few pages from a free sample of the book (Kindle) or you can reach out to me on Twitter and we can share a few musings on the elder proposition.

Anyhow, have a lovely week.

Much love,

Julian.

Photo by Ksenia Makagonova on Unsplash



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All in

Beginner's mind

Where next?